What are psychiatric nurse education requirements? This may be an enthusiastic question in your mind. It is your turn to answer this question. There are a lot of requirements to answer this question.
- Psychiatric Nurse Schooling Requirements
A question that may arise in your mind is: What are psychiatric nurse education requirements in school? From now on, you get the answer: There is a blend of education and experience.
First, you need to finish a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing. Moreover, you should also take several mental health courses. Once you are finished nursing degree, you need to pass the proper licensure examinations to become a registered nurse or advanced practice nurse. You will need to take educational path a Psychiatric Nurse from lowest to highest level of education.
- Bachelor Degree: This may take 4 years. You can choose online or going to campus.
- MSN Degree: You need to take two additional years for getting this level. There are two kinds of campus, online or going to campus.
- PHD or DNP: This may take 2-4 additional years. It also has two kinds of choices, online or going to campus. You must take a minimum of two years’ experience as a registered nurse to become a certified psychiatric nurse.
In addition to those requirements, at least you have 2,000 hours of clinical practice in a mental setting.
Moreover, you must have 30 hours of continuing education in mental health within three years prior to taking the certification examination.
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Degree Requirements
Here are several degree requirements you have completed before applying a job vacancy on Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner position:
- Degree Level: You may have a Master’s degree as a minimum; many pursue a Doctor of Nurse Practice (DNP) or Ph.D.
- Degree Field (s): The degree field that you should have that Bachelor’s degree in nursing, or a master’s degree as psychiatric nurse practitioners.
- Certification/Experience/Licensure: The certification that you should have is the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certifies psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioners. Moreover, you may have work experience as a prerequisite for licensure.
- Key/Computer/Technical Skills: You may have several skill like:
- Social and awareness and perception
- Problem-solving abilities
- Monitoring and assessing patients
- Having a critical thinking skill
- Basic word processing
- Data entry and medical software
- Being able to operate all medical equipments that are available in the hospital, such as the surgical lasers, suction kits, defibrillators, and vision charts.
- Additional Requirement: You must hold a valid RN license.
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Schooling Requirements
The requirements are:
- The GPA is 3.0 or above
- GRE scores from the past five years (this does vary quite a lot by program, so please check program specifics)
- Letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Purpose and Goals Statement
After knowing the psychiatric nurse education requirements, dare to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner? This job may be one of the great career options for you.